This week I visited the UEA library in Norwich a fabulous place to be inspired, you could almost hear the learning taking place. I thought how all children (any age) should be taken out of their classroom to visit to be inspired. Not necessarily by the prospect of learning but by the community.
Most youngsters soon feel 'trapped' and a bit claustrophobic when living with parents. Uni is possibly one of the first opportunities they will get to live away from home, but still with some support mechanism around them.
The book I borrowed (to test the system) was 'Blogs, Wikis, Podcast and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Written by Will Richardson a former classroom teacher for 20 years. He is an 'evangelist' for the use of weblogs, RSS and related technologies in classrooms. The book is a dreaded '7 day loan' book chosen deliberately for that reason (although the content has turned out to be excellent). The method behind my madness was to see how easy it would be for me to visit the library in my busy daily schedule. Hopefully the book will open up a new world for my teaching and encourage me to experiment with new technologies in my classes. I'm still not sure what the difference between a 'weblog' and a 'blog' is in basic terms but I'm sure I will learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment